At the end of the lesson book I completed yesterday, it said to check online for some supplemental material. Being the good student that I am, I did just that.
I now have a list to *familiarize* myself with. They said I didn't have to memorize it, but it will be info that I will need to know for the PhT certification exam. (BUT I DON"T NEED TO MEMORIZE IT???)
The list? "Top 200 Drugs Prescribed in the US", ~~brand name, generic name, therapeutic catagory and typical use.
Example:
Brand name: Prozak (PROE-zak)
Generic name: Fluoxetine (floo-OX-e-teen)
Therapeutic catagory: antidepressant, seretonin specific reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)
Typical use: Treatment of depression
Now I have to multiply this example by 199 other drugs and write it on index cards so that I can carry them with me for the next few months...and you get the idea! (BUT I DON"T HAVE TO MEMORIZE THEM!!!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
My next module of books consists of: Pharmacy Arithmetic, Pre-algebra, and Pharmaceutical Calculations.
The Pharmacy Arithmetic looks pretty simple...actually it reminds me of my 6th grade math. Addition, subtraction, fractions, etc. The only difference is that all the story problems deal with medical situations. I'm pretty sure that I can handle the equivelent of 6th grade math.
Pre-Algebra is 115 pages of torture reminiscent of my 8th grade classes. I was placed in an advanced math class starting with 7th grade. In 7th grade we were doing base 3, base 6 problems.....arrggh!
By 8th grade I was convinced they were trying to torture me. Pre-algebra made little sense....and now it's coming back to haunt me again!
I glanced through the book. Some of it I remember and it looks ok. But then there's the other 100 pages!!!
This 115 pages of mental torture is followed up by pharmaceutical calculations!
See, I can come up with most of these answers using basic math...I just don't use equations.
This is a sample story problem:
How many total milliliters of medicine must you dispense to a patient who needs to take three teaspoonsfuls a day for 8 days?
Their equation: 5ml/1 tsp x 3 tsp/1 day x 8 days = 120 ml
My way that I use all the time. Patient needs to take 1 tsp 3x a day. 1tsp = 5 ml 5ml x 3=15ml
15ml x 8 days = 120ml
WHY oh why do I have to use equations? I am a basic math sort of person....not an equations/modern math/ algebra person.
"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me."
This shall include equations/formulas/pre-algebra/ and pharmacy calculations, right???? RIGHT!!!!
Now, to find some index cards to use to 'familiarize' myself with the top 200 drugs in the USA...but not to memorize :)

My brain hurts for you! LOL! ;]
ReplyDelete