Well it looks like I've finally figured out how to access my own blog. Have tested it out a few times and it seems to work each time. I never had this problem on the old blog style; but when it switched to google, it decided to make it very difficult for me to get on my own blog. Hopefully, it lasts!
We have been back in the Dominican Republic for a month now. Things seem to be settling into a routine, which is nice! I've gotten the apartment cleaned and everything back in its place. Leaving an aparment for over two months when it is prone to roof leaks requires some packing and covering of items to preserve items. Then there is the inevitable washing of most clothes, towels and linens to remove the musty smell. eewww!!!
It started raining yesterday, Saturday, about noon and it has not stopped other than for brief periods. It's expected to last thru Tuesday, as there is a tropical depression 175 miles off the southern coast. And yes, we live on the southern coast! They are predicting 6-10 inches and possibly up to 15! There are very few paved roads. San Pedro de Macoris is the closest town and is where the church is that we most frequently attend, (also the location of one of the grocery stores where we can trust the meat!). Just in a normal rain fall the roads flood and things are a mess. Can't imagine what it is like today.
Right now is sort of the *down time* for SCORE with very few groups here in the DR. Right now there are NO groups here at all. Last night we got together with two other SCORE missionary couples that live here too. Nate and Erica and their baby daughter, Mali, live in the house at the ministry center. Andres and Johanna just arrived about 3 weeks ago. So last night we had a cook out at Andres and Johanna's. Their little apartment is on the left side (as you are facing the ministry center, for those of you who have been here) that is basically reserved for new missionaries and interns. About 6 small apartments, but they also have a very nice covered patio area and a grill. Partway thru the meal Erica said "Do you realize that we have each apologized for some part of the meal we brought and it's defects?" The beef that Andres had grilled was impossible to chew (fortunately, we also had chicken and hamburgers). They thoughts it was ribs, but it was the toughest meat any of us had ever experienced. Erica made pasta salad but had to substitute some ingredients (it was still delicious). My green jello was soup despite the fact that I made it at 10AM and it sat in the frig for 8 hours! But the fellowship was great with much laughter and the encouragement needed by all.
Thanksgiving will be at our apartment and will be another combined effort. Now, if someone could just send us some fresh cranberrie, we would be so-o-o-o-o happy. Turkey is over $2 a pound, but it is available and we ALL want turkey! I actually found canned pumpkin, so we will have pie!
The medical clinic is going well. I am so-o-o-o-o enjoying working in the pharmacy. The clinic is open to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays and we are averaging about 25 patients per day.
There was a group here a couple of weeks ago doing med clinics in the batayes. While talking to the ladies one day, I mentioned that I was wanting to check into online Pharmacy Tech classes. One of the ladies said she had been a pharmacy tech for almost 9 years and is going to send me ALL of her books and materials. If I were to actually go for the degree, I would have to study things that I just won't need here (insurance forms, ordering the restock--and all of our meds are donated from the States). So this will be wonderful. I can't wait to receive the books and get started.
Well, hopefully, this has given y'all some idea of our life here right now. Please be praying for us and our service here.....
~~~A LITTLE AND A LOT~~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment